6000. That’s approximately how many hours of work update 1.3 took us. Thank you everyone for being patient (or not so much). The update 1.3 is finally here!
The All New MoneyWiz for iPad
When we first released MoneyWiz it was the best looking personal finance app in the world. But we wanted more. It looked great, but it had to be better, so we set some very clear requirements:
- It had to be brighter, and allow smaller font sizes
- It had to visually separate the content area and the navigation
- When you look at MoneyWiz, it must look as sleek as a sleek magazine cover.
- We had to make it simpler, simpler simpler!
- We had to replace the abstract shapes with something more natural and aesthetically subtle
- It had to bring this Zen peace feeling
After about a month of work, we’ve finally nailed down the basic concepts. It took another 2 months to fully develop it and replace the old design. Replacing the old design meant that we had to go through each screen, each button and text, and replace the images, with the new sizes, new fonts, new colours, everything… It required changing about 800 files, by hand.
Another very important thing for us, was to simplify the design even more. MoneyWiz has always been promoted as the easiest to use fully-featured finance manager, but we wanted to make it even simpler. Here’ few of the things we did to achieve it…
- When you first install MoneyWiz, you would see a screen with just two buttons and explanatory text. One of the buttons allows you to log with your Sync Everything! account, the other allows you to create your first bank account. As simple as that- 2 buttons. It used to be 5 buttons in the previous version, with each button pointing to the various sections of MoneyWiz, explaining what they were.
- We replaced the 4 buttons to create transactions, with just 1 button. Tap this button, and a pop-over appears, allowing you to pick the right kind of transaction
- We moved the calculators button from the top bar to the sidebar. This way, not only it would be accessible within the entire app, but it also allowed us to get rid of one button from the top bar
- We moved the button to edit an account or a budget from the top bar, to Settings -> Accounts & Budgets. This not only allowed us to get rid of 1 more button, but it also allowed us to achieve a more unified approach on where you go to manage accounts and budgets.
- We knew some people couldn’t figure out the Scheduled section, so we redesigned it from the bottom. It now shows up as a calendar with a list of events, as opposed to transactions. We’ve created this beautiful realistic calendar, which makes it a real pleasure to be in Scheduled.
Reports like nothing you’ve seen before
Most of you have been looking for personal finance apps for quite some time before finding MoneyWiz. You all know that wherever you look, reports are just dull and confusing. We wanted to make something nobody before has made, and I think we achieved that. Here’s what we’re really proud of:
- Full screen reports… you really need to see this in your hands, using MoneyWiz for iPad. It feels like Star Trek!
- Predefined reports. Do you often find yourself just browsing MoneyWiz for no apparent reason? It’s like checking up on your finances. We do it all the time for our own money. So if you’re checking out MoneyWiz every now and then, just to look at it, wouldn’t it be great if it you had something prettier than a list of transactions, to look at? That’s what predefined reports are. It’s several reports, that you see as soon as you tap the Reports button. And you can slide between them, zoom them full screen or tap on them for additional information.
- We also added 4 new reports – Forecast, Trends, Statistics and Net Worth
- PDF and CSV export
- We redesigned the charts of app reports, making all of them gorgeous!
And whole lot of other stuff
- Real account reconciliation
- Running balance, after each transaction
- Swipe the numerical keyboard while entering the amount of a transaction, and use a calculator. Available in MoneyWiz for iPhone only.
- Categories are now collapsable/expandable, and you can even search!
- New translations – Chinese, Russian, Italian, Portuguese and Polish
- 50+ new features
Full list of What’s New in MoneyWiz 1.3 – iPhone & iPad
- Totally new user interface! The new user interface is more elegant, more simplistic, with realistic objects and brighter colours. We spent months to make sure the new looks is better in every aspect!
- Re-designed Scheduled section. The scheduled transactions no longer appear as normal transactions…they rather appear as events. Also, the calendar and the list of events are now one thing, which means that when you scroll up, the calendar hides itself, allowing you more space to see the list of events.
- Significantly decreased font sizes, to allow more information to be displayed at once (in the list of transactions). You can now see twice as many transactions in one page.
- All the buttons to create transactions were replaced by 1 button, to make the interface simpler to understand and use.
- Calculators were moved from the top bar to the sidebar… find them next to the Settings button. This way you can access them from anywhere and we simplified the top bar by removing 1 button.
- Editing an account or a budget is now moved to Settings -> Accounts & Budgets. This gives unified approach to how you manage your accounts and budgets, and allowed us to simplify the top bar even more, by removing that button as well.
- Reports peek – Once you go to the Reports section, you’ll immediately see few pre-generated reports, for your convenience!
- New reports: Net Worth, Statistics, Forecast, Trends
- Totally new UI for graphics in reports
- Full screen reports that show even more information about the graphic
- In Account Balance report, you can now select multiple accounts
- Expense Categories & Income Categories are now merged into one report – Categories
- You can now tap on the report graphic to get additional data
- Ability to see the transactions that make up a report
- Saving a report as a Dynamic report (i.e. non-static) – dynamic reports are these, that will re-calculate their data every time you open them.
- Ability to sort the transactions from a report
- The reports and the list of transactions are now one one… this means that when you scroll, the graphic goes up, giving you more space to see the transactions
- Export to PDF
- Export to CSV
- New way of visualising periods of a report
- Ability to edit a report, after you generated it. This allows you to set different report settings very quickly.
NEW IN REPORTS
- Ability to reconcile an account. You can do this from the button you use to create a transaction. There’s now a Reconcile option.
- Ability to see the running balance (the account’s balance after each transaction). Enable/disable this option from Settings -> General.
- Ability to expand/collapse the list of categories, while creating a transaction. You can also search in the list.
- New option for the balance field in Scheduled -> Overdue. You can now see how much money is overdue because of scheduled bills.
- The Calendar “Go-to date” functionality is moved – just tap on the month and year text at the top left of the calendar (in Scheduled), and the Go To dialog will present itself.
- Ability to see Daily Allowance for budgets. Configure it by tapping on the balance field while in that budget. You will be given the options – Used, Remaining, Days Left, Daily Allowance
- Ability to set both date & time for a transaction.
- The Category field when entering a transaction has been moved up.
- Ability to change your Sync Everything! password, via Settings -> Sync Everything!
- The QIF/OFX import will now recognize sub-categories during import, and will handle them appropriately.
- New translations added – Chinese, Russian, Italian, Portuguese and Polish
- Name is back to MoneyWiz
- Performance & stability improvements
We want to thank the following people, who voluntarily helped us translate MoneyWiz:
- Jorge Rui – Portuguese
- Gianfranco Lanzio – Italian
- Maciek Kozal – Polish