Software is not perfect, and we are not perfect too. As much as we hate it, we too make mistakes from time to time.
Every software has a moment in its lifecycle where a simple bug would ruin the experience for all.
The last 24 hours has been extremely intense for us. Apple approved our 1.3.1 update last night, but in some ridiculous turn of events it appeared that a bug slipped and caused crashes during migration.
We’d like to announce now, that the 1.3.2 update that corrects this is now released, thanks to Apple’s quick reaction. We’d like to thank them for their support throughout this.
- Retina optimised artwork – see everything in stunning detail, on the new iPad
- See the account name while in Portrait mode
- Ability to show transactions in Categories & Payees reports
- New translations – Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Dutch, German, Korean, Swedish
- Major stability improvements
What Happened In 1.3.1
We received a lot of e-mails asking us what happened, so I’d like to take the time and explain in details.
Everything you do in MoneyWiz is stored into a database file. This database has specific structure, that allows us to quickly find information in it. Every time we make an update, we optimise this structure, and therefore need to change it. When you install the update, we need to take your old database, with old structure, and migrate (copy) it to the new database structure, so that you can continue using it with the new version. This process is called Migration, and we’ve developed a Migration Assistant that will do everything necessary, automatically. It will do it when you first start MoneyWiz after an update.
Every time we make an update, we have to manually map each separate property from the old database to the new database. There are currently about 700 properties, that need to be matched in “old vs new” manner. We do this manually, as this is the only way.
What happened in this 1.3.1 update is that the mapping of one (just one!) of these properties was broken. The property in question is the one that holds information about the auto complete list of Payees (when entering a transaction). It turns out that it was wrongly mapped, and when the Migration Assistant came to copy it to the new database format, it could not find it in the old database format, and it crashed.
It’s as simple as that. We fixed it, and the fix is now available for download.
Every company happens to make a mistake every now and then. We all know that.
It’s how the company handles the mistake, that shows what it’s made of!
This is how we handled it:
- The issue was fixed, tested and the update was released in less than 24 hours
- We replied to 618 e-mails personally during these 24 hours
- The average response time was 1 minute and 46 seconds
- There were just 3 of us working on this. All 3 of us haven’t slept in close to 40 hours now, and we’re still staying to make sure that everything is back to normal now
- We manually restored 144 customer databases, for customers who did not have a Sync Everything! account
- Not a single customer had data loss or data damage
So, the bottom line is that we handled this quickly and efficiently, and we made sure that every customer had MoneyWiz restored as quickly as possible.
If you want to help…
During the past 24 hours, our rating got ruined to the ground…our average rating across the world is varying between 1* and 2*. A lot of people decided to rate us poorly instead of e-mailing us so we can actually help them.
There are few things I want to explain…
- We are not aliens. Therefore every now and then we too need to buy food and stuff like that. As much as we want to pay our rent and bills with promo codes, it just doesn’t work like that, so we need to earn money in order to support ourselves and our product.
- To earn money, we need to sell MoneyWiz…to sell MoneyWiz we need it to have a good rating. We work like crazy to assure that everything’s well, every customer receives our attention in timely manner and we resolve any issue that’s reported to us. On top of that, we do regular updates with new features. All of these updates has been free so far. We invest a lot of money and we give our work for free, to all existing customers, via these updates.
- Some people mistakenly believe that we’re a huge corporation with a million employees and an unlimited budget… we are not. We are 4 guys, with a very limited budget. Everything we earn from MoneyWiz, we invest it back into MoneyWiz. We live off our savings from our previous jobs. We are not funded by investors.
- Giving us the bad rating, without allowing us to fix your problem and help you, doesn’t help you and it also doesn’t help us.
- Some people think that we can edit the reviews on the AppStore – well, we can’t. Some people think that we have a way of contacting you back after you put a bad review – we don’t! We have to manually search your nickname across google, our mail archives, list of mail subscribers etc, and hope that there will be a match somewhere.
- When you give us a good rating after each update, it shows other people that the product is good, and therefore we get more sales. More sales mean we can hire more people, and bring you more new features, faster!
So now, we ask you to support us, and help us fix this ruined rating everywhere. You can do this by leaving an honest review (or just rating) of MoneyWiz (iPad & iPhone) in the AppStore.